The Capella tasking system will automatically plan and schedule the number of images required to cover your area of interest, complete the collects, and make the data available when ready. To set up an area task, follow these steps:
1. Set the area of interest
In the Capella Console, an area tasking request can be created by uploading an area of interest or drawing either a bounding box or a freeform polygon on the map.
To upload an area of interest, click the blue Upload button to the right of the search bar. This will launch a splash screen where you can upload a GeoJSON or JSON file.
To draw a polygon on the map, click either the rectangle or polygon icon to the right of the Explore bar. The rectangle icon will enable you to draw a rectangle on the map; the polygon icon will enable you to draw a more freeform shape.
- Be a single line string
- Be the first Feature of a FeatureCollection
- Have less than 250 vertices (clicked points when creating an AOI)
- Have no holes
The system will not accept polylines, multi-polygons, or self-intersecting polygons. Capella recommends keeping the size of your AOI to 2,000 sq km or less.
2. Click the Add Tasking Request button
3. Set a Target Name and Target Description (optional) for your task request
4. Set Window Open date & time
5. Chose a Tasking Tier
The tasking system supports 1-Day, 3-Day, 7-Day and Background tasking tiers for area tasking to give you additional control of new acquisition collect timeframe and tasking request priority.
6. Set Imaging Mode to Stripmap
While area tasking is available for all Imaging Modes, Capella recommends using the Stripmap imaging mode to optimize collection. This mode requires fewer images to cover an AOI, reducing the amount of time required for collection.
7. Set the Window Close date & time (under Optional Parameters)
The Window Open and Window Close dates set how long the Capella tasking system has to collect all the images needed over your area of interest. Capella recommends setting the tasking window for at least a month from the Window Start date. The longer the timeline, the better.
8. Change Product Category to Custom (under Optional Parameters)
9. Extend the Image Length and Image Width
The longer the Image Length and wider the Image Width, the fewer collections required to cover the AOI. Capella recommends extending the length to 100km and the width to 8km for area tasking requests.
10. Set any additional Optional Parameters
All images for an area tasking request are fulfilled by a single satellite in either an ascending or descending pass orientation, with the orientation aligned with the inclination of the orbit of the satellite. If you chose to restrict the Orbital Plane, Orbit State, or Observation Direction, consider extending the Window Close date even further out than a month to increase the number of satellite access times available.
11. Click Create Task
12. Review the area task information and click Submit New Task, if correct
If you need to change any of the information, click the Modify button. Once submitted, the tasking request will move into a Received status while the system calculates the estimated cost.
13. Review the cost estimate and click Submit Request
The system will send you an email when your tasking request is ready for Review. Your tasking request will not be scheduled until you review and accept the cost estimate.
14. The scheduling system will run within 15 minutes and either accept or reject your request
If a new tasking request for an area is rejected, it may be too large to collect within the acquisition window duration (time between Window Open and Window Close). In this case, consider resubmitting your area task request with a larger window duration or reduce the size of your area of interest.
15. Once your request is accepted, the system will be begin scheduling the collections necessary to cover your AOI
You can check the status of your area task request at any time from the Tasks List page in Console. You will also receive an email when the request is completed and the data is ready for download.